History of MJ Flood
In 1935 Michael John Flood, then in his mid-forties, left his steady job at Underwood where he was a typewriter engineer, riding around Dublin on a bicycle repairing typewriters. He set up his own company in a small premises on Pearse Street. In 1939, just before the outbreak of World War II, MJ had the foresight to buy in a large consignment of typewriters, thus ensuring that his business thrived during the “emergency”. In 1940 Bob Blake joined the company, at the age of 15. Bob was to work for the company for 48 years.
The company grew slowly until MJ’s grandson, Michael Power, took over the business in 1964. At this stage the company employed six people. In 1968 the Facit Typewriter Agency was secured and secured the backbone of the company for some years. The following year, 1969, saw the achievement of a turnover of £50,000. By 1971 sales had grown to £200,000 and the first branch was opened in Sligo.
Martin Keating joined the company in 1971 to start the photocopier division. In 1974 distribution rights were acquired for Mitsubishi (now Konica) photocopiers. This formed another key element in the company’s growth. In 1975 MJ Flood moved from Pearse Street to Walkinstown and the following year, 1976, turnover reached the figure of £1,000,000.
In 1979 Brian Whiteside joined to set up the Office Furniture Division. Later that year the company moved to Sandyford. The company head count had now reached eighty. Another move was made in 1983 to larger premises in Sandyford. Also that year the company was appointed the Herman Miller dealer for Ireland. In 1985 the Athlone branch was opened, thus completing the network of eight branches.
The UK market was entered in 1989 with a Herman Miller dealership in Luton. Later that year Larry Doyle secured the first ever £1 million order from Vauxhall Motors. By 1990 turnover had reached £10,000,000. In 1991 the Herman Miller Office Pavilion in Heathrow was taken over, thus significantly strengthening the group’s position in the UK market. A third office in the UK, MJF City in Central London, was established in 1994.
In 1995 the Interior Contracting Division was set up in Dublin and the following year, 1996, MJF Copiers was started in Belfast. The years 1997 – 1999 saw strong growth in both Ireland and the UK with our expansion in Ireland into the Technology area and within the UK, Interior Fit-out and Business Services.
Another move was made in 2007, this time to Baldonnell Business Park, Dublin 22. The group now turns over €120m and employs some 300+ people.